ILSC Juniors is seeking qualified and dynamic ESL Teachers available to work part-time, in a friendly, fast-paced environment.
Our students are ages 10-17. Teachers prepare lessons designed to increase students’ language skills, their accuracy and fluency, appropriate to a broad range of situations and needs, and in accordance with the ILSC Curriculum Guidelines and Course Outlines. High quality delivery is expected. The position is temporary, Part Time, up to five week term, 15 instructional hours, Monday – Friday.
The duties of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Teaches 15 hours of English lessons over a five day week (typically Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday)
- Elicits students’ interests and language needs in an organized way
- Prepares lessons using recommended resource materials (or substitutes own resources in consultation with the Academic Manager)
- Creates an atmosphere that encourages all students equally in self-expression, self-reflection, cooperation and leadership
- Completes academic records as required by the Academic Manager (in particular class records of attendance, student reports and progress reports)
- Co-operates with the Academic Manager and on occasions with third party agents, colleagues from language agencies, and accrediting Inspectors in the observation and evaluation of lessons
- Assists with the welcome, induction and testing of students on the first morning
- Attends staff meetings for briefing and discussion of academic and welfare matters
The teacher is expected to use a range of modern and traditional language learning techniques and methodology including the following:
- building students’ vocabulary acquisition for formal and informal situations e.g. dialogues, discussion, role-plays, outings
- introducing, practicing and reviewing language structures (grammar) using a communicative approach
- developing communication strategies such as initiating, maintaining, closing of verbal interactions across a wide spectrum of situations drawn from daily life
- increasing communicative skill through appropriate question and answer techniques, presentations, decision-making, offering feedback to others, analyzing and evaluating situations, negotiating, debating, etc.
- shaping pronunciation and speech production towards natural English
- supporting and encouraging students to self-correct
- evaluating and offering feedback to the students in ways that increase their self-confidence in using English
All ESL teachers at ILSC must possess the following qualifications.
- a completed Bachelor’s degree
- a completed TESOL or CELTA (must be Languages Canada approved)
- Experience teaching and working with youth
Additional Requirements of the Job:
- Arrival at least two days before course start date for training and orientation
- Appropriate completion of a criminal background check will be required if requested
- A declaration that you are not unfit to work with students under 16 must be signed
Please submit resume and cover letter via email to Andrew.Goulding[at]ilsc[dot]com
ILSC Education Group is an award winning global educator that delivers quality educational programs using a dynamic approach that responds to student interests. Our largest and longest running division, ILSC Language Schools, has been offering language training programs to International students from more than 100 countries since 1991. We also offer a range of programs through our Colleges, Corporate Training, and Continuing Education divisions. Since opening its first school in Vancouver, BC, Canada, ILSC has become a world leader in language and career training, and has grown to include 9 incredible locations around the world, in Vancouver, Toronto and Montréal, Canada; San Francisco and New York, USA; New Delhi, India; and Brisbane, Sydney, and Melbourne, Australia.
Our mission is to keep developing ILSC as one of the finest schools for language and career education where people have excellent and transformative learning and living experiences.
ILSCs Core Values
We collaborate & learn: The ILSC community collaborates together and learns from one another, both locally and globally.
We inspire & transform: We deliver academic excellence, we inspire growth and we transform lives.
We respect & celebrate: We respect one another and celebrate our diversity, creativity and a job well done.
In accordance with ILSC’s Accessibility policy, ILSC is committed to providing a barrier-free environment. Accommodations are available on request as outlined within ILSC’s Employee Policy Manual.